PENTICTON, B.C. - Police in B.C. have issued an arrest warrant after a 22-year-old woman was allegedly confined in a Penticton store and brutally assaulted in front of her toddler.
RCMP Corporal Dan Moskaluk said 35-year-old David Wesley Bobbitt of Penticton is wanted on a charge of attempted murder.
Moskaluk said the alleged victim was forcibly confined, beaten and sexually assaulted for several hours after stopping by a second-hand store on Ellis Street in downtown Penticton.
Bobbitt operates Dave’s Second Hand store, where the alleged assault took place.
"Disturbingly, the woman attended the store accompanied by her 22-month-old son," Moskaluk said in a telephone interview with The Canadian Press.
Moskaluk said the woman's family members reported her missing Saturday evening after she failed to drop off her child as planned that afternoon.
He said family members found the woman’s car around three o'clock Sunday morning in an area where she had told them she planned to shop at some second-hand stores.
"It’s our understanding that they were rattling doors in the middle of the night and checking some of these locations," Moskaluk said.
He said police found the woman in the back of the store, bound and severely injured, with her unharmed son nearby.
The woman underwent surgery Sunday for what Moskaluk said were severe lacerations.
Moskaluk suggested the alleged attack appeared to be random.
"We’ve determined that the only relationship between the two is that she may have been a patron at that second-hand store once previously and was reattending the store to look at furniture once again," he said.