POLITICS
12/07/2011 03:43 EST | Updated 02/06/2012 05:12 EST

Accuser who revealed Graham James pardon sparked changes to system

OTTAWA - The man who blew the whistle on the routine pardon of a serial sexual predator, resulting in dramatic changes to Canada's criminal pardon system, is demanding that his voice be heard.

Greg Gilhooly of Oakville, Ont., was among three new accusers of former junior hockey coach Graham James who went to police with abuse allegations, but on Wednesday the father of two was denied his day in court.

James, 59, pleaded guilty via videolink to sexually abusing two individuals, including former NHL star Theoren Fleury and an individual covered by a publication ban.

The plea deal with Crown prosecutors in Manitoba saw the charges related to Gilhooly's allegations stayed.

"I'm at peace with it now," Gilhooly, 47, told The Canadian Press.

Gilhooly, initially stunned and hurt when first told of the plea deal last week, went to the Crown and requested that the court lift its publication ban on naming him.

"I'm at a point now where I am not prepared to live a life where Graham has any power over me any more," Gilhooly explained.

"For Graham to play a game and believe he's won a victory over me by not pleading guilty to my charges, I am not prepared to let Graham win that game. He cannot beat me anymore."

Crown Attorney Colleen McDuff told the court the decision to stay the Gilhooly charges "followed much consultation and consideration and discussion with the complainant as well"