Provincial officials have issued a public health alert about the danger of the street drug ecstasy after the recent deaths of three young people in the Calgary area.
In the past year a total of three deaths were likely caused by ecstasy, although toxicology tests are not yet completed on all the cases, Alberta Health Services (AHS) officials said in a release.
Last month a 16-year-old boy died after taking what was reported to be ecstasy at a house party in northeast Calgary.
AHS says there have been two more recent deaths.
Since April, emergency and urgent care departments in Calgary have treated over 100 people for ecstasy-related concerns, the province said.
“People need to be aware of the extreme danger of ingesting this drug,” said Dr. Judy MacDonald, the AHS medical officer of health for Calgary.
“Ecstasy is not only capable of making people very sick, but this drug can kill.”