NEWS
02/16/2012 01:49 EST | Updated 04/17/2012 05:12 EDT

Structural problem at seniors home where there was a deadly CO leak

HUMBOLDT, Sask. - There are new problems at a Saskatchewan seniors home that was the site of a deadly carbon monoxide leak.

The Saskatoon Health Region says the flooring system in a wing of St. Mary's Villa in Humboldt is deteriorating and won't meet the needs of residents in the future.

A recent engineering report found the problem, although the region says there are no imminent safety risks.

Thirty-two patients are being moved to another part of the facility by the end of March and 10 other residents currently in enriched housing will have to move out.

It's the same facility where a carbon monoxide leak in December 2010 contributed to the deaths of three residents and made dozens of others sick.

The CO poisoning stemmed from a gas leak in a boiler.