04/28/2012 11:24 EDT | Updated 06/28/2012 05:12 EDT

Jonny Steele scores in 93rd minute, Real Salt Lake beats winless Toronto FC 3-2

SANDY, Utah - The Toronto FC players lay scattered about the field after collapsing to the ground in exasperation and stunned disappointment.

Their first Major Soccer League point of the season had just been stolen away in a 3-2 defeat, decided by a goal from Real Salt Lake's Jonny Steele in the 93rd minute Saturday night.

"Kills us. It really does," Toronto forward Eric Avila said. "We worked hard for 93 minutes and then that happens. At times you say it's football and at times you say it's luck, but those are the kind of things we need to fix."

The loss dropped Toronto to 0-7, matching the worst start in Major MLS history. Kansas City started the 1999 season with the same record.

"It was a very painful defeat," Toronto midfielder Julian de Guzman said. "For 90 minutes we did what we had to do. But the game goes on longer than that."

What hurt more than another defeat were Toronto's missed opportunities. Captain Torsten Frings missed a penalty kick in the first half and Avila hit the crossbar in the second half. Ryan Johnson had two opportunities in the second half, but Toronto came up empty each time.

Avila did score, though, in the 53rd minute after a nifty move around defender Jamison Olave to tie the score at 1-1.

"In the first half, they contained us," Avila said. "In the second half, we wanted to push at them and keep going."

After an own-goal by Toronto defender Richard Eckersley put Salt Lake (6-3-1) back on top in the 57th minute, Toronto's Doneil Henry headed in a corner kick from Miguel Aceval to draw even in the 77th minute.

"We could have easily walked out of here with five goals," de Guzman said. "If you walk out with two goals that should at least be a point on the road."

The final 15 minutes produced a flurry of chances as both teams raced the length of the field at a fast-break tempo. Toronto goalkeeper Milos Kocic turned away a shot from Canadian international Will Johnson and a would-be Salt Lake goal was negated by a foul in the 89th minute.

Early in stoppage time, Ryan Johnson sent a shot just wide of the left post in what turned out to be Toronto's final possession.

Steele's second goal of the season came moments late as the ball shot past Kocic into the lower left corner of the net.

"It's not good," Toronto FC manager Aron Winter said. "I thought today was really the moment because we played well. The way that we lost is just terrible."

Toronto extended its MLS winless streak to 11 matches, dating back to the 2011 season. It is the only winless team this season, falling to 0-3 on the road.