The tri-tip is cut from the bottom sirloin in the area of the steer’s hip. It is a three-sided, well-marbled, and underappreciated cut of meat with a robust flavour, especially when it’s marinated with Great Lakes Brewery Devil’s Pale Ale. Tri-tips weigh 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 lb (750 g -- 1.25 kg) each, and are best grilled to medium-rare and sliced thinly across the grain.
• Food processor
• Meat thermometer
1 sirloin tri-tip (1 1/2 -- 2 1/2 lb/750 g -- 1.25 kg) 1
8 cloves garlic, minced 8 cloves
1 tsp sambal chili paste 5 mL
2 tsp fresh gingerroot, minced 10 mL
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce 5 mL
1/4 cup soy sauce 60 mL
2 Tbsp olive oil 30 mL
1 Tbsp freshly ground black pepper 15 mL
1 Tbsp fresh rosemary, chopped 15 mL
1 can Great Lakes Brewery
Devil’s Pale Ale (16 oz/473 mL)
Kosher salt, to taste
• Using a fork or meat needling press, pierce tri-tip all over, about 30 times per side. Transfer to a large self-sealing plastic bag. Add garlic, chili paste, ginger, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, oil, pepper, rosemary, and Great Lakes Brewery Devil’s Pale Ale. Seal bag, turning bag and gently massaging meat to evenly coat. Refrigerate and let marinate, turning every 2 to 3 hours to evenly marinate, for 24 hours.
• Set up grill for direct and indirect grilling: preheat one side of grill to high (about 550 F/280 C), leaving other side off.
• Drain tri-tip, discarding leftover marinade, and pat dry with paper towels. Season to taste with kosher salt.
• Place tri-tip on grill and sear for 1 to 2 minutes per side. Move tri-tip to cool side of grill. Reduce heat to medium 350–450oF/180–230oC) and close lid. Grill-roast, drizzling with extra beer, for about 15 to 20 minutes or until a thermometer inserted in centre of thickest part registers 130oF (55oC) for medium-rare.
• Remove tri-tip from grill and let rest for 10 minutes.
• Thinly slice across grain. Serve with dollops of Beer Compound Butter.
Serves 4 to 6
Beer Compound Butter
1/2 lb butter, softened 250 g
3 Tbsp Sesame Beer BBQ Rub (p. 42) 45 mL
2 Tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped 30 mL
2 green onions, minced 2
Splash Great Lakes Brewery
Splash Devil’s Pale Ale
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
• Transfer to a small serving dish, cover, and refrigerate for up to 1 month or until ready to use.
Makes about 1 cup (250 mL)