05/26/2012 12:33 EDT | Updated 07/26/2012 05:12 EDT

Everest Team Unable To Bring Down Toronto Woman's Body


The body of a Canadian woman who died climbing Mount Everest has been brought partway down the mountain.

Bad weather had hampered the team attempting to recover the body of Shriya Shah-Klorfine, who died on her way down from the summit of the mountain on May 19 from altitude sickness and exhaustion.

Today, Sherpas brought the body of the 33-year-old woman to Camp 2. That's a base that can be reached by helicopter.

But a chopper couldn't reach the base because of bad weather.

It's expected an attempt will be made again again tomorrow.

Ganesh Thakuri, who is co-ordinating the effort in Nepal, told CBC News on Saturday in an email that his team had reached the section of the mountain, known as the Balcony, where the woman's body was lying.

They managed to bring it down to a certain point but "unfortunately the weather turned bad" and the team had to return to its camp without the body.

Shah-Klorfine was one of six climbers who died on the mountain last weekend, according to mountaineering website

Meanwhile, her husband has stated his family is not seeking government help to cover the cost of bringing his wife’s body home.

CBC News reported Friday that the family was seeking government assistance to cover the costs of repatriating Shah-Klorfine's body. The person quoted in that story, Bikram Lamba, described himself as Shah-Klorfine’s godfather.

However, her husband, Bruce Klorfine, contacted CBC News on Friday and said Lamba was a friend of his wife, but he does not speak for the family.

In an email to CBC News, Klorfine said the family will cover the cost of his wife’s repatriation. He said the family plans to have a funeral service in his wife's birthplace of Kathmandu, Nepal.

Her body will then be cremated and repatriated to Canada. A memorial service will be held for her in Toronto, Klorfine said.

Also on HuffPost

Death On Mount Everest
Sandra's Tweets