05/29/2012 08:09 EDT | Updated 07/29/2012 05:12 EDT

Canadian climber's body taken off Everest

The body of a Toronto woman who died while descending from the summit of Mount Everest earlier this month has been taken by helicopter to her family in the Nepalese capital of Kathmandu.

Shriya Shah-Klorfine, 33, died on May 19 along with three others during what has been described as overcrowding on the world's tallest peak.

Ganesh Thakuri, a spokesman from the Utmost Adventure Trekking, said a team of climbers managed to bring the Toronto woman's body down from an area more than 8,000 metres above sea level to a camp within helicopter rescue range on Monday, but bad weather prevented the body from being flown off the peak right away.

Climbing Everest was a long-held goal for Shah-Klorfine, who was born in the Nepalese capital and grew up in Mumbai.

She later moved to Canada to be with her husband, Bruce Klorfine, and start an import business, SOS Splash of Style Inc.

Died in 'death zone'

Last year, Shah-Klorfine was a candidate for Mississauga East-Cooksville in the last Ontario election as a member of the Paramount Canadians Party.

Shah-Klorfine died in the so-called death zone near the top of the 8,850-metre peak where a lack of oxygen can be fatal to climbers.

German doctor Eberhard Schaaf, 62, 55-year-old Wang-yi Fa of China and 44-year-old South Korean mountaineer Song Won-bin also died on the mountain that day.

Photos of the recovery of Shah-Klorfine's body were provided to CBC News by Documentary Channel Canada, which is doing a film on climbing Everest.

Everest was first summitted 59 years ago by Edmund Hillary and Tenzing Norgay, who reached the top on the morning of May 29, 1953. The pair are believed to have been the first people to do so.

Since then, approximately 3,000 people have attempted the feat and more than 200 have died trying. However, due to the difficulties posed by recovery, a dangerous and expensive endeavour, the bodies of many remain on the mountainside.