05/30/2012 02:21 EDT | Updated 07/30/2012 05:12 EDT

Burnaby RCMP Seek Armed And Dangerous Homicide Suspect


The suspect in a Metro Vancouver manhunt has died in hospital after being shot in a standoff with police in Maple Ridge.

The deceased man was sought by police in one non-fatal shooting on Tuesday and the recent double homicide at a Metro Vancouver-area sushi restaurant.

RCMP confirmed that Angus David Mitchell, 26, was spotted by police on Wednesday at about 10 a.m. around 132 Avenue and 216 Street and was shot shortly afterwards.

Several eyewitnesses reported hearing multiple shots fired in the area. Shortly afterwards, Mitchell was airlifted by helicopter to hospital and said to be in critical condition.

Around 1:45 p.m., police confirmed Mitchell had died in hospital.

The scene of the shooting was blocked off by police about an hour after Burnaby RCMP issued an urgent warning earlier Wednesday morning.

The Vancouver Police Department said in a release Wednesday afternoon that it had agreed to a request by the RCMP to investigate the shooting.

Around 9 a.m., police had issued a warning that they were searching for an armed and dangerous suspect. Police said Mitchell was armed with a high-powered rifle with a scope and living out of his 1994 green Ford Aerostar Van with B.C. licence 591 PTG.

Police described the former security guard as emotionally unstable, five feet four inches tall and weighing 121 pounds.

Mitchell obtained legal possession of a Mossberg Maverick rifle in B.C. within the last six months, leading police to believe he was armed and extremely dangerous.

They said he had no criminal record, but police had been involved with him previously in incidents linked to his employment.

Wanted for recent double homicide

Police said Mitchell was a person of interest in the May 27 double homicide inside a sushi restaurant on Royal Oak in Burnaby. No motive for the homicides has been established.

Mitchell was also wanted in connection with the shooting of a 51-year-old Burnaby man on Tuesday in front of his former home in the 4400 block of Gilpin Crescent in Burnaby, police say.

The victim, a former landlord of Mitchell's, survived the shooting but is in hospital in serious condition, say police. Mitchell was evicted from the home about six months ago.

Also on HuffPost

Angus David Mitchell