05/31/2012 05:26 EDT | Updated 07/31/2012 05:12 EDT

Alberta Hantavirus Case Confirmed


EDMONTON - Health officials are confirming that a resident of a rural community north of Edmonton has been infected with hantavirus.

The regional medical health officer is warning that anyone who disturbs mice or their droppings is at risk of contracting the airborne virus.

Dr. Marcia Johnson says it's proper protection is essential when cleaning up droppings, nests or dead mice.

She says people should wear gloves and provide proper ventilation.

The should also soak the area in a solution of water and bleach.

Symptoms of hantavirus, which can be fatal, include fever, body aches, chills, abdominal problems and breathing problems.