Stintz and TTC vice-chair Glenn De Baeremaeker unveiled the $30-billion plan in late June, pitching a plan that would have brought multiple types of transit to all corners of the city over 30 years, hypothetically funded by the higher levels of government and an increase in municipal property taxes.
The plan was quickly shot down by both the province and many councillors. The tax hike was taken off the table, and the focus was moved to expanding the Bloor-Danforth subway line into Scarborough.
The failed plan got a rough ride at council on Wednesday, with some openly mocking it. Even a motion to look at the Bloor-Danforth subway plan as part of report coming forward in the fall was ruled out of order, because council had already approved an LRT line for Scarborough earlier this year.
CBC's city hall reporter Jamie Strashin reported that many on council wondered why OneCity ever saw the light of day. Both Stintz and De Baeremaeker were against a Scarborough subway plan along Sheppard Avenue brought forward by Mayor Rob Ford a few months ago.
"I think that they're flip-flopping," Coun. Giorgio Mammoliti said. "They're spinning us. They're toying with us. They're playing with us."
Fellow transit commissioner and Coun. Peter Milczyn said the OneCity plan was never anything more than a news conference.
"We have to sit down with our partners and discuss this with them — not make unilateral announcements through the media," he said.
OneCity's demise leaves Stintz's council-approved plan from earlier this year and its four LRT lines as the only planned future for transit expansion in Toronto.
Also on HuffPost