07/14/2012 10:04 EDT | Updated 09/13/2012 05:12 EDT

Toronto FC shuts out Revolution 1-0 but loses striker Danny Koevermans to injury

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. - The latest step forward for Toronto FC could have come at a significant cost.

Luis Silva scored in the eighth minute to push Toronto to a second consecutive victory with a 1-0 win at New England on Saturday night, but influential striker Danny Koevermans departed in the first half with an apparent left knee injury.

Koevermans suffered the injury as he chased after a ball on the right side of the penalty area and took a challenge from A.J. Soares in the 37th minute. The prolific Dutch striker immediately clutched his left knee as he fell to the ground and soon made his way off the field on a stretcher.

TFC did not issue an update on Koevermans' condition after the match, but he left Gillette Stadium on crutches with his left leg immobilized.

"I fear the worst for Danny," TFC coach Paul Mariner said. "I've got my fingers crossed, but I spoke to the doctor from New England, who I have the highest regard for, and it doesn't sound too good."

Koevermans, who has nine goals this season, provided yet another reminder of the hole he would leave up front should he miss extended time by playing a crucial role in the only goal of the match.

TFC exploited the uncertainty in the New England defence caused when centre back Stephen McCarthy left the field with concussion-like symptoms in the sixth minute after a clash of heads with Toronto striker Ryan Johnson.

TFC midfielder Reggie Lambe sliced into the middle of the field and supplied Silva in space on the edge of the penalty area. Silva played a quick one-two with Koevermans before slotting home his second goal in as many games.

"I gave it to him, kept my run going and got a nice little pass back," Silva said. "I took a touch and just put it away from the 'keeper."

From that point on, Toronto spent most of its time soaking up pressure and trying to hit the Revolution on the counter.

Johnson and Silva squandered second-half opportunities in a bid to punish the Revolution for committing numbers into the attack, but TFC dedicated most of its efforts to keeping a tight shape and preventing the Revolution from claiming an equalizer.

Toronto goalkeeper Milos Kocic ensured he and his resolute teammates would leave Gillette Stadium with all three points by denying Benny Feilhaber at the near post in the 64th minute and pushing away a Jerry Bengtson header six minutes before the end.

"New England were pressing and pressing us," Mariner said. "They had some chances. The 'keeper made a couple of great saves for us. But, having said that, we could have had more goals on the break."