07/21/2012 10:15 EDT | Updated 09/20/2012 05:12 EDT

Jimmo makes quick work of opponent with seven-second KO at UFC 149

CALGARY - Ryan (Big Deal) Jimmo made a spectacular statement with his right fist at the UFC's debut in Calgary.

It took the Edmonton fighter just seven seconds to knock out Anthony Perosh in their light heavyweight preliminary round bout at the Scotiabank Saddledome on Saturday night.

The quick KO was just one second off of tying the UFC record held by Duane Ludwig.

“This sport is dog-eat-dog, but you always hope that someone isn’t seriously injured,” said Jimmo. “This is someone’s potential career and you don’t want to inflict harm that’s going to affect someone’s life.”

Heading into his UFC debut, Jimmo said he didn’t want the fight to last long and he made good on his word. He charged at Perosh and threw a heavy right-hand punch that knocked the Australian fighter on his back.

“I looked across the cage,” Jimmo said. “He looked away. I said he was scared and I’m going to hit him.”

In the main bout of the preliminary card, Calgary’s Nick (The Promise) Ring didn’t disappoint his supporters in the capacity crowd, earning a unanimous decision over Court McGee.

"I never felt so much support in my life. I can't thank the fans enough for cheering me on and giving me that extra bit of energy I needed," Ring said. "I gave everything I had out there. Even when I was hurting I kept going and put it all out there. I was going to keep fighting till the end."

The two middleweights had previously squared off against each other during the 11th season of "The Ultimate Fighter.” Ring also took that decision but ultimately had to bow out of the reality show after suffering a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee.

In other preliminary-round action, Antonio Carvalho of Oshawa, Ont., scored a TKO victory over Daniel Pineda at the 1:11 mark of the first round of their featherweight fight.

“I guess I do have some fights left in me,” said Carvalho, who had thought about quitting leading up to his first-ever UFC victory. “Two weeks ago I thought I was overtraining and I had to stop training for four days. I asked myself if I wanted to do this and if I had fights left in me.”

Meanwhile, bantamweight Mitch Gagnon of Sudbury, Ont., lost by submission in the third round to Bryan Caraway, while Edmonton’s Mitch Clarke suffered a split-decision loss to Anton Kuivanen in their lightweight bout.

Also, Winnipeg’s Roland Delorme was knocked by Francisco Rivera at 4:19 of the first round of their bantamweight bout.