08/12/2012 10:43 EDT | Updated 10/12/2012 05:12 EDT

Djokovic wins second straight Rogers Cup title with 6-3, 6-2 win over Gasquet

TORONTO - A week removed from a crushing loss at the London Games, Novak Djokovic found some redemption at the Rogers Cup.

The top-seed Serbian won his second straight title at the men's tournament and third overall with a 6-3, 6-2 victory over Richard Gasquet of France on Sunday night.

It's his first trophy since winning in Miami four months ago and comes on the heels of a tough bronze medal loss at the Olympics to Juan Martin del Potro of Argentina.

"The losses I had in the Olympic Games gave me even more desire to come here and perform my best and try to win a title," said Djokovic. "I am very happy to be in this position. I truly did not expect to win this tournament after the emotional losses in Olympic games.

"I really took it hard and tried to bounce back and recover. And I've done great, I have to say."

The victory came under clear skies at Rexall Centre after a week of frustrating rain disruptions. Djokovic, among other players, was forced to play twice on Friday and had his semifinal against countryman Janko Tipsarevic delayed twice and pushed into late Saturday night.

"The rain delay and interruptions weren't making my life easy that's for sure," said Djokovic.

His patience was tested, and he went as far as to suggest Rogers Cup organizers consider some kind of cover for the stadium court. However, in the likely scenario they don't listen, it won't deter Djokovic from returning to defend his title.

"Yeah sure I will be coming back definitely," he said. "That was just a suggestion from a player's perspective considering the last couple of days."

Despite the win, he will remain ranked second in the world behind Roger Federer, who pulled out the tournament because of a scheduling crunch with the Olympics.

Gasquet, the 14th seed at the tournament, was making his first Masters 1000 finals appearance since losing to Federer here in 2006. He's now lost to Djokovic in seven of their last eight meetings.

"It was a long time since I play a final at this kind of tournament," said Gasquet. "It's tough when you have Djokovic in front of you and are not playing your best tennis. It's very difficult. He played much better than me for sure."

The 26-year-old Gasquet had little margin for error against Djokovic and mental mistakes cost him in the eighth game in the first set. He netted twice to go down 0-40, then went long and wide on a return to give Djokovic the break and a 5-3 lead.

Gasquet had two more unforced errors in the next game as Djokovic finished off the set with a blistering ace that surely impressed Prime Minister Stephen Harper, who was sitting just behind him in the first row.

Djokovic didn't take his foot off the gas in the second set. He broke Gasquet in the first game with a laser of a forehand and doubled his lead with four straight points to go up 2-0.

Gasquet's fiercest weapon, his one-handed backhand, was nowhere to found in the fourth game when he netted an easy return, causing him to swing his racket in frustration amidst fans yelling "allez Richard."

"I started a very bad game at 4-3 and he made defence after and he took confidence and me mine was down," said Gasquet. "It's very difficult to come back. It was a tough final. I could do better, but when you play Novak it's very tough."

Djokovic broke again for a 5-2 lead in the second set and had little trouble serving out the match to become the third player in the Open era to win three Rogers Cup titles. He defeated Federer in 2007 in his tournament debut.

American brothers Bob and Mike Bryan, fresh off their Olympic gold medal, won the doubles title with a 6-1, 4-6 (12-10) victory over Spanish eighth-seeds Marcel Granollers and Marc Lopez.

It's the fourth Rogers Cup title for the No. 2-ranked pair, and it came without having to face local favourite Daniel Nestor and Belarusian partner Max Mirnyi.

Nestor and Mirnyi, ranked No. 1 in the world, crashed out in the quarter-finals with a loss to Granollers and Lopez. Despite the loss, Nestor and Mirnyi became the first team to qualify for the year-end ATP championship in London.