SCATERIE ISLANDS, N.S. - After more than a month of delay, the latest obstacle in the dismantling of a ship that's been stranded off Cape Breton for almost a year has been cleared.
Abe Shah, a senior partner for the company in charge of dismantling the MV Miner, said Wednesday that a pre-demolition site survey of the shipwreck was carried out Monday.
Shah of the New York-based Bennington Group said the survey was needed for insurance purposes, but getting both the provincial and federal governments to sign off on pre-existing environmental conditions was a challenge.
He said the removal of the ship can begin once he has results of the survey.
The vessel ran aground on Scaterie Island on Sept. 20, 2011, while being towed to a scrapyard in Turkey.
Removal of the 230-metre bulk carrier was expected to start last week after more than a month of delays.
The Bennington Group's provincial authority to remove the ship is set to expire at the end of the month.