09/18/2012 01:00 EDT | Updated 11/18/2012 05:12 EST

Winnipeg police make more arrests in child abduction case with Mexican ties

WINNIPEG - Winnipeg police have made more arrests in a child abduction case that saw two kids taken from their mother to a secret life in Mexico.

Darlene McKay, 53, and Bradley McKay, 48, were arrested Monday and each face two counts of obstruction of justice and abduction by concealment, police said Tuesday.

The couple are the parents of Cody McKay, a 23-year-old man wanted on a Canada-wide warrant who is alleged to have helped in the abduction of Dominic and Abby Maryk. McKay is a nephew of the children's father, Kevin Maryk — the main suspect in the abduction who is facing extradition from Mexico.

Police allege Maryk took his children during a court-ordered visit on Aug. 16, 2008, when they were aged seven and six, and moved around frequently to avoid detection. He lived for a while in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico and then Guadalajara, keeping the kids inside the home all day and preventing them from going to school, police said.

The kids were found in May thanks to a tip from a Guadalajara resident who had seen a Crimestoppers video about the case. Maryk was arrested and detained in Mexico along with a friend, Robert Neil Groen, and police launched a search for Cody McKay, who remains on the loose.

Winnipeg police would not say what exactly McKay's parents are alleged to have done to obstruct the investigation and conceal the children's location.

"The details of their involvement in the investigation, I cannot elaborate on at this time, because Cody McKay is still outstanding," Patrol Sgt. Wally Antoniuk said Tuesday.

Shortly after police announced they were looking for McKay, his father posted a message on Facebook urging him to return to Canada.

"Cody come home and we will take care of what ever needs to be," Brad McKay wrote on a Facebook page titled Bring Cody Home.

Police appeared confident Tuesday they will eventually find McKay.

"Over time, we're continuing to follow up leads and we're slowly but surely coming to the end of this investigation," Antoniuk said.