10/23/2012 02:54 EDT | Updated 12/22/2012 05:12 EST

14-hour standoff ends after man jumps from window

A tense, 14-hour police standoff at a home in Mississauga, Ont., ended early Tuesday when a man jumped from a second-storey window in a failed attempt to evade police.

Peel Regional Police were called to the home near Britannia Road and Ninth Line, just before 11 a.m. ET Monday.

There were reports that the man — later identified as Neil Armstrong, 27, of Mississauga —armed with a large sword, had barricaded himself inside a house.

Police negotiating teams tried to convince him to surrender. After hours of negotiating failed, police deployed flashbangs, also known as stun grenades, to force him out.

Armstrong's jump from a second-storey window at around 12:30 a.m was captured on tape, and drew gasps from shocked onlookers.

Witness Ashley Matchett described the scene to CBC News reporter Ivy Cuervo.

"He just punched [the window] all out and jumped, landed and took right off."

Armstrong managed to flee police before being located about 30 minutes later and taken into custody.

Twelve homes in the area were evacuated during the standoff as a precaution. It wasn't immediately clear whether he was armed when he fled.

Peel Regional Police Const. Fiona Thivierge said he was caught inside a perimeter police had established.

"We had an interior and exterior perimeter set up," she told CBC News. "It was very, very tight. With the assistance of other agencies, such as York Region who came in with their helicopter to assist, we located the party in one of the backyards within the perimeter."

In the end, the Armstrong was taken to hospital for his own safety.

He has been charged with a number of offences including breach of probation and possession of a dangerous weapon.

Marco Dellagrand lives next door to the home the police had surrounded. He wasn’t able to return home until 4:30 a.m.

But his niece, Joevanna Fuentes, was home alone for hours during the standoff and she watched the police moving around.

"It was very scary … I went to the kitchen and then I see the police guys going into my backyard," Fuentes told CBC News.