BANGKOK - Foreign Affairs in Ottawa has confirmed reports that a Canadian has died in Thailand.
The Bangkok Post reported on its website that a Canadian man was found in a Bangkok hotel room this week along with an Australian national.
The Post said police discovered several bottles of alcohol and a “white powder” believed to be a drug in their room.
Thai police say it's believed the two died of a drug overdose, adding that an autopsy is being done to confirm cause of death. They say tests have also been ordered to identify the white powder.
In a statement Friday night, Foreign Affairs said only that Canadian consular officials were in contact with local authorities to gather information, and were providing assistance to the family of a Canadian citizen who passed away in Thailand.
Also on HuffPost