11/10/2012 01:37 EST | Updated 01/09/2013 05:12 EST

Queen's, Trinity Western to play in women's soccer championship final

VICTORIA - The Queen's Gaels have a chance to make history at the Canadian university women's soccer championship.

The two-time defending champions advanced to the final with a stunning 4-1 victory over the top-ranked Ottawa Gee-Gees on Friday.

Breanna Burton scored twice for the Gaels, who overcame an early one-goal deficit.

The Gaels will face Trinity Western on Sunday, after the Spartans beat the Victoria Vikes 1-0 in the other semi.

Alexis McKinty and Riley Filion also scored for Queen's, which will try to become the first team to win three straight Gladys Bean Memorial Trophies.

"Our finishing was very good even though I think they outshot us by a wee bit," said Gaels head coach Dave McDowell. "We had three really good goals in the second half and we defended pretty admirably I thought.

"I'm very proud of them. To beat an excellent Ottawa team took a lot of work. Hopefully we have a little bit left for Sunday."

The final scoreline was unthinkable for the Gee-Gees given their dominant defence this year. Prior to the loss, Ottawa had given up just two goals in 20 games.

"I think we started really well and we also had some good performances from some individuals today," said Ottawa head coach Steve Johnson, whose team will face Victoria for the bronze medal Sunday.

"Unfortunately, Queen's was very tidy around their net and had four wonder strikes. Despite the fact we created a number of chances we just didn't finish them. We've got to take a deep breath and then prepare for the bronze-medal match."

Gillian Baggott appeared to send the Gee-Gees on their way with a goal in the 21st minute.

But McKinty scored less than seven minutes later to tie the game, and Burton scored in the 51st and 55th minutes to put the game out of reach. Filion capped the scoring in the 79th minute.

In the late game, midfielder Natalie Boyd scored in the 36th minute to send the Spartans to the final.

Boyd broke the deadlock on a diving header the near post after Jilian Dietrich got in behind Victoria's back four to serve the ball from the right side.

"Credit to both teams tonight, they gave everything and played their hearts out," said Trinity Western head coach Graham Roxburgh. "We knew it was going to come down to one or two chances and we buried our best chance and then hung on."

The final Sunday will be a matchup of the last two teams to win the title since 2008. The Spartans won in 2008 and 2009 before UBC went on its two-year run.

In the consolation games, Sherbrooke shut out Laurier 1-0 and Dalhouse beat Cape Breton 1-0.