A B.C. couple who lost their uninsured home in a fire is getting back on their feet thanks to the help of dozens of volunteers.
Bill and Anne Connor returned home two weeks ago to see decades of memories going up in flames.
“We come back and I see all this stuff in the road and the smoke's pouring out of the chimney,” Bill Connor said. “Oh, it scared me.”
This week, the Connors, now in their 80s, have been watching the volunteers clean up what’s left of their Abbotsford home before it gets rebuilt.
Abbotsford police officers and firefighters, moved by the couple’s plight, have stepped in and are volunteering their time to get the job done.
“In 72 hours, we had this house completely redone — on paper, from community support,” said firefighter Craig Bird. “It's been absolutely fantastic. Staggering”
The crews are determined to have the home finished by Christmas.
“I'm overwhelmed,” Bill Connor said. “Like I tell all of ‘em. I'm not much for words. I really appreciate what they're doing and I hope it turns out good. Not much more you can say.”