This article exists as part of the online archive for HuffPost Canada, which closed in 2021.

Alberta landowners seek leave to appeal $1.5B electric transmission line

EDMONTON - Opponents of a newly approved electricity transmission line in Alberta hope to unplug the multibillion-dollar project in court.

The Alberta Utilities Commission approved AltaLink's $1.5-billion Western Alberta Transmission Line last month.

Landowners who live along the line's route between Edmonton and Calgary are seeking leave to challenge the decision March 28 in the Alberta Court of Appeal.

In their application, they suggest the main purpose of the line is to export power from the province.

Joe Anglin of the Opposition Wildrose says his party supports the court challenge, because the line would mean higher electricity bills for consumers.

AltaLink, a subsidiary of SNC-Lavalin (TSX:SNC), has said it hopes to start building the line this year and finish by 2015.

Suggest a correction
This article exists as part of the online archive for HuffPost Canada. Certain site features have been disabled. If you have questions or concerns, please check our FAQ or contact support@huffpost.com.