MONTREAL - The man accused in Quebec's election-night shooting will represent himself in his legal proceedings on a first-degree murder charge.
A judge in Montreal agreed today to a request by a legal-aid lawyer that she no longer have to defend Richard Henry Bain.
That prompted Bain to say he will represent himself, although he still wants some legal assistance.
At one point, he waved a Bible and said he had the best lawyer available in God and Jesus Christ.
His preliminary hearing is set to begin March 12.
The fishing-lodge owner faces 16 charges, including first-degree murder, related to the attack at a downtown Montreal club where the Parti Quebecois was celebrating its election victory last September.
A stagehand was shot dead and another was wounded by a single bullet.
Premier Pauline Marois, who was giving a victory speech inside the theatre, has said she believes she was the target of a political assassination attempt.
Bain told the court last month he makes $36,000 a year and can't afford a lawyer.
Also on HuffPost