In the wonderful world of fashion, everyone — and everything — is connected. We’re taking a look at who and what made waves in the past seven days, and weaving a common thread between them. From super-talented super models to Michelle Obama’s wardrobe choices, this is your one-stop style-story shop.
1. Cara Delevingne. With the attention this spunky Brit model’s getting these days, no one was surprised when Love Magazine’s editor-in-chief Katie Grand tapped Cara Delevingne to star in a video campaign for her Hogan capsule collection. But what did surprise people was the name beside the soundtrack credit at the end of the ad. Yep, it was Miss Delevingne’s. So, not only is this girl an English socialite and a successful model, but she can also dance and sing. Sheesh, some people have all the genetic luck!
Do you know who’s not having much luck these days?
2. Lindsay Lohan. Putting her best foot forward at the amfAR gala earlier this month, Lindsay Lohan borrowed a beautifully beaded THEIA gown (Charlie Sheen brokered the loan between her stylist and the designer) — weird) and then promptly (allegedly) ripped it at an afterparty. Not wanting to wear a ruined maxi dress all night, Lindsay asked a friend to get some scissors and create a new mullet hem above the offending tear. And then returned the “redesigned” $1,750 dress to the designer in tatters. Class.
Do you know who has a way better relationship with stylists and designers?
3. Carine Roitfeld. According to leaked reports, the big wigs at Condé Nast sent out a memo warning editors and contracted photographers not to work with ex-editor-in-chief of Vogue Paris, Carine Roitfeld, after she announced she’d be launching her own magazine, CR Fashion Book. With the fresh new talent exploding off the pages of her magazine’s second issue, it’s clear that despite being blacklisted, she’s doing just fine, merci beaucoup.
Do you know which other fashion heavyweight has some interesting things to say about her life?
4. Vera Wang. She likes doughnuts, designed seven wedding dresses for her own wedding and she used to figure skate competitively. Vera Wang’s insightful interview on the “Fashion Icons with Fern Mallis” series gives us a peek inside the world of this wedding-fashion icon. But trust us, it’s not all tulle and taffeta.
Do you know who’s very familiar with Vera Wang’s designs?
5. Michelle Obama.Michelle Obama’s official portrait for her husband’s second term as U.S. President was released this week. Now, this might not seem like fashion news at first glance but when this (first) lady wears something, it sells out, and when she gets a haircut (i.e. “mid-life crisis” bangs), requests for the same style skyrocket. So now that a photo of her wearing a custom-made Reed Krakoff dress has been made public, we predict a tsunami of orders at his NYC showroom next week. Enjoy the ride, Reed!