Emily Morin, 20, and her partner, Mark Mitchell, 26, were killed when a fire tore through a 100-year-old house on Johnson Street. Georgia Klap, 22, died in hospital several hours later.
Insp. Meagan Sabell says it's believed the fire started in a couch on the front porch and spread to the front door of the house.
"The front door had glass on it and it actually broke due to the heat, and so as soon as it broke it just came right in the house,” Sabell said.
“It travelled very quickly right up the stairs so it kind of acts as a chimney. So there was a lot of burn damage in the front foyer the staircase and the upper hallway.”
But Sabell can't say what started the couch fire because there was nothing left of it to test.
Sabell says two people were able to escape from a back stairway, while another pair climbed out a window and down a tree. Three others escaped from the main floor out the back, and another couple escaped from a basement suite.
Sabell says witnesses reported there were smoke alarms in the house, but no one heard them that morning.
Also on HuffPost