Two former guests are suing the Los Angeles hotel where the body of missing Canadian tourist Elisa Lam was found dead in a rooftop water tank.
The class-action lawsuit was filed in a L.A. Superior Court by Steven and Gloria Cott on Tuesday, according to CNN on Friday.
The Cotts paid $150 for a two-night stay on Feb. 12, according to the San Francisco Chronicle. At the time, they were reportedly told by staff the water was safe to drink.
The couple alleges that the hotel was obligated to provide safe water but instead gave them "water that had been contaminated by human remains and was not fit for human ingestion or to use to wash," according to the lawsuit.
Public health officials tested the water and found there were no harmful bacteria, likely due to chlorine in the city's water system.
Lam, 21, of Vancouver, was found dead on Feb. 19 by a Cecil Hotel worker checking on water pressure complaints.
Lam was last seen alive in the Cecil Hotel’s lobby three weeks earlier. The L.A. Police Department released a troubling video of the University of British Columbia student behaving oddly in the hotel’s elevator.
An autopsy conducted on Feb. 21 failed to determine the exact cause of death or if foul play was involved. Toxicology results are expected in a few weeks.