Mourners will gather at a Toronto funeral home Tuesday to remember a man whose life was cut short when he was shot in the drive-thru lane of a Burger King restaurant last week.
The circumstances of Zoltan Hyacinth’s death remain under investigation by Ontario’s police watchdog.
Hyacinth, 23, died on the evening of March 17, when he was shot in the drive-thru lane of a Burger King restaurant near Keele Street and Wilson Avenue.
Hours after Hyacinth was shot, the Special Investigations Unit issued a news release saying that "an interaction" had occurred between police and a man, shortly before that same man sustained a gunshot wound.
The SIU said the man was taken to Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre where he was pronounced dead.
While the SIU did not publicly name the deceased, Hyacinth’s mother has confirmed to CBC News that her son was the man who was killed.
Michelle Hyacinth said the SIU left a business card in her door after her son died.
She has questions about her son's death and is determined to find the answers.
"I'm not going to stop until I find out the truth about my son," she said.
The SIU investigates all incidents involving police in which death or serious injury occur as well as when allegations of sexual assault are raised.