03/27/2013 10:06 EDT | Updated 05/27/2013 05:12 EDT

Regina Woman Burned Horribly While Cooking Dinner


REGINA - A fire that erupted while preparing dinner has left a Regina woman with second- and third-degree burns to 80 per cent of her body.

The fire erupted late Monday afternoon at a house on the city's east side.

Deputy fire chief Gerard Kay says the woman's dress caught fire while food was being cooked.

The victim is listed in serious condition.

Investigators say there was minimal damage to the home.

Kay says it's important for people to avoid wearing loose clothing when cooking because it may touch a burner or hot oil and catch fire. (CJME)

Also on HuffPost

Photo gallery Brazil Nightclub Fire See Gallery