EDMONTON -- An 18-year-old called as a witness at a double-murder trial says everything he told undercover police officers in a Mr. Big sting was a lie.
The youth admits his testimony at the trial of a 17-year-old friend accused in the deaths of Barry Boenke and Susan Trudel presents a far different story than what he told police.
The Crown prosecutor asked the youth why he told an undercover officer that the accused shot a man in the head outside of a trailer, and then followed the woman inside.
The witness had told the officer the accused came out and said he had "whacked'' the woman.
The youth testified Wednesday he only told the officer - who was posing as a gangster - what he wanted to hear, adding it all came from evidence presented during pre-trial court proceedings.
On Tuesday, the youth told court he and his friend never saw Boenke and Trudel and had nothing to do with their deaths.
The two youths have admitted running away from a youth treatment facility run by Bosco Homes when they were 14 years old, breaking into property, shooting a dog with a pellet gun and stealing Boenke's truck.
Court has heard Mounties targeted both boys in Mr. Big operations last year.
RCMP had initially charged both boys with first-degree murder but the charges were stayed. A judge ruled a statement made by one of the boys was inadmissible and prosecutors admitted they had no case without it.
Last May, following the Mr. Big stings, the Crown reactivated the case against the one teen and charged him with second-degree murder.
The trial earlier heard there is a lack of forensic evidence linking the boys to the crime. Their DNA was not found at the scene and there was no blood or gunshot residue on their clothes.
The gun that killed Boenke and Trudel has also not been recovered.
Also on HuffPost