One of the accused girls threatened to slit her daughter's throat if she contacted police, said the mother, who can’t be identified to protect the identity of her now 18-year-old daughter.
Her daughter begged her to not to call police because the three girls knew where she lived and where she went to school.
The threat was made in May 2012, she said, after her then 17-year-old daughter was lured to the home of one of the accused.
Her daughter previously told the court she was prostituted out to two men, one of whom paid $160 for sexual acts and one who sent her home after she arrived at his home crying.
No call to police
The second man, Donald Derouchie, testified Thursday that the teen didn’t ask him to call police, a fact questioned by defence lawyer Trevor Brown under cross-examination.
Three teenaged girls — two 16-year-olds and a 17-year-old —are facing 74 charges in the case, including human trafficking and forcible confinement, for allegedly luring nine girls to a southeast Ottawa home and forcing them into prostitution. They were arrested in June 2012.
None of the accused or victims can be named because of the Youth Criminal Justice Act.
Text message not sent by daughter
The mother also testified about a text message she received around midnight on the night her daughter alleges she was forced into prostitution that said “mommy I’ll be home soon.”
She said her daughter would never use that term and when asked about it, the teen said she hadn’t sent the message – that one of the accused teens had stolen her phone.
Mother went to homes of accused
The mother testified that she went to the houses of the accused three times.
She said she was trying to recover the personal items the accused allegedly stole, including a jacket, jewelry, a bus pass, a debit card, a cellphone and hair extensions.
"I was determined I wasn't going to stop until I got them back," she told the court.
She eventually got a jacket and hair extensions belonging to her daughter, she said.
Second day of increased security
Friday was also the second day of increased security at the Ottawa courthouse.
The Crown said a metal detector, which attendees had to walk through, is needed because of “recent events.” No other details were given.
Police were also checking identification and bags, asking why people were attending the trial.
Also on HuffPost