05/25/2013 04:48 EDT | Updated 07/25/2013 05:12 EDT

Gay wins 100 at Adidas Grand Prix in New York; high jumper Vlasic victorious

NEW YORK, N.Y. - Tyson Gay accomplished all his goals at the Adidas Grand Prix: He won, put his body through the grind of rounds — and stayed injury-free.

On a cold, rainy afternoon, the American-record holder eased to victory in the 100 metres, finishing in 10.02 seconds into a headwind Saturday. He appeared to slow down a bit at the end but still beat countryman Ryan Bailey by .13.

"It was important to leave here healthy and not try to push it too hard with the conditions," Gay said. "I feel pretty good."

Justyn Warner of Markham, Ont., was ninth in 10.60.

Dylan Armstrong of Kamloops, B.C., threw 20.27 metres to finish fifth in the shot put, won by American Ryan Whiting, who threw 21.27. Justin Rodhe of Kamloops was eighth (19.12).

Sheila Reid of Newmarket, Ont., was sixth in the women's 1,500 metres in four minutes 7.47 seconds, while Hilary Stellingwerff of Sarnia, Ont., ran 4:10.70 to cross 12th. And Nathan Brannen of Cambridge, Ont., was seventh in the men's 800 in 1:48.61.

A year ago at this meet, Gay, meanwhile, made his return to competition after major hip surgery, running in the "B'' race as he scrambled to ready himself for Olympic trials. He felt far different on Saturday.

After Gay barely missed out on a bronze medal in London, he's off to a strong start this season and looking to challenge Usain Bolt again.

The 100 field had to run semifinals to qualify for the final, which Gay figured would be good preparation for U.S. trials before the world championships in August.

"I'm definitely pleased with the time," he said. "I felt comfortable."

Gay could probably relate to high jumper Blanka Vlasic's feelings on Saturday. The two-time world champion competed for the first time since ankle surgery 16 months ago — and she won. The weather made her foot ache.

"But I don't care," she said. "I'm happy and I know it will recover."

Olympic gold medallist David Rudisha won the 800 in 1:45.14 — well off his world record of 1:40.91, but about what he expected considering the weather.

Two-time Olympic champion Veronica Campbell-Brown of Jamaica took first in the 200 in 22.53 seconds on a day not designed for fast times.

"It's not the type of weather sprinters like," she said.

Reigning world champ Amantle Montsho won the 400; Olympic gold medallist Sanya Richards-Ross, recovering from toe surgery, pulled out after deciding her foot wasn't ready to return to competition.

Olympic silver medallist Michael Tinsley used the weather to his advantage to win the 400 hurdles, staying relaxed and rallying at the end when the wind was at his back.

— With files from The Canadian Press.