BRITISH COLUMBIA
06/17/2013 06:16 EDT | Updated 08/17/2013 05:12 EDT

Abbotsford Homeless Man Rescued From Fire

Alamy
A homeless man in Abbotsford, B.C. is lucky to be alive after the mattress he was sleeping on caught fire on Sunday night.

Rikter Pop was sleeping near a Canadian Tire store when a lit cigarette sparked a fire in his camp.

Fortunately one of the store's managers spotted the flames, grabbed a fire extinguisher and dragged him to safety.

"No matter what anybody says, there's a lot of good people out there," Pop said after meeting his rescuer Monday morning.

Abbotsford police say Pop was not injured in the fire.

But they said he was found to be intoxicated, and so spent the night at the local police station.

Also on HuffPost

Photo gallery
Barber Gives Homeless Haircuts For Hugs
See Gallery