The Trans-Canada Highway remains closed between Canmore and Banff, after serious flooding hit the area last week. wiping out parts of the major roadway.
According to Parks Canada emergency vehicles, including police, fire, ambulance, wardens, utilities, and highways trucks, the Roam bus, airport shuttles and resupply trucks with permits are allowed to travel on Hwy 1 between Canmore and Banff.
People are, however allowed to travel on the highway east of Canmore.
Story continues below the slideshow
According to the Town of Banff, people are allowed to exit Canmore over the Bow River Bridge and then via the Three Sisters Parkway, following detour signs.
Once on the Trans-Canada, the speed limit is 60 km/h and passing is not permitted.
Motorists in Banff who need to get to Calgary are asked to take the Highway 93 south or Highway 93 north. There is also a designated shuttle between Banff and the Calgary airport..
Drivers can still access Banff National Park and the Town of Banff from the west, but further travel on to Canmore will not be allowed.
People needing to transport between Banff and Canmore must use the "Roam" shuttle bus until further notice.
The following highway closures and distrupitons remain in effect for Southern Alberta:
- Hwy 811 is closed 1/2 km south of Fort McLeod due to flooding
- The bridge north of Arrowwood on Hwy 547 is closed due to flooding.
- Hwy 40 in Kananaskis Country
- Hwy 66 west of the Elbow River
- Hwy 541 west of the Kananaskis Country boundary Hwy 940 south of the Highwood River
- Hwy 742 (Smith Dorrien Spray Trail)
- Hwy 546 west of Sandy McNabb campground
- Hw. 532 west of Hwy 22
- Hwy 68 between Hwy 40
- Hwy 41A is closed from Medicine Hat east to the Hwy 41 intersection due to flooding.
- Hwy 842 is closed south of Hwy 1 at Bow River Bridge due to flooding
- Hwy 758 remains closed due to flooding. No access to Hwy 66.
- Southbound Hwy 2 traffic is down to one lane due to flooding, watch for signs.
- Due to high water the Black Diamond Bridge is closed. Currently there is no estimated time for it to re-opening. Use local roads as alternate routes.