07/05/2013 04:07 EDT | Updated 09/04/2013 05:12 EDT

Family Of Killed Cyclist Pleads For Driver To Come Forward

The family of the 72-year-old cyclist killed last week in a hit-and-run incident in Burnaby is pleading for the driver to come forward.

Edward Simpkins was hit by a vehicle on 13th Avenue near Wright Street at around 8:30 p.m. PT on June 30. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

On Friday, Janet Atkinson-Grosjean spoke tearfully about Simpkins, her brother.

"Ed, we always thought he was indestructible," she said.

"You heard he would have been 73 at the end of this month, but he was fitter than most people half his age.

"We certainly weren't ready to lose him in any time, especially in this way. He was a musician, he was a poet, he was an artist, and he was a life-long cyclist. He was also a dad, a granddad, my brother and friend to so many people."

Atkinson-Grosjean said she understands the fear, anxiety and guilt the driver must be experiencing, but asked that he or she come forward to help the family grieve.

"We do understand that the driver must have panicked. Speaking for myself, I'm past the anger," she said.

"I understand the need to just get away from things, but it's been a few days now and you must be feeling awful with the guilt. So, please, it's time to say, 'Enough' and come forward. We need you to tell us what happened so we can let Ed go in a dignified manner. Please help us to say goodbye to my brother."

The victim's daughter, Chelsea Simpkins, also spoke on Friday, saying the family was devastated by the loss.

Police have released video that shows the suspect vehicle, a dark blue or black late model two-door coupe that enters the frame from left to right. Later, a second vehicle, a lighter-coloured four-door hatchback (possibly grey or brown), is seen approaching, but then reverses away from the accident scene.

RCMP say they want to speak with both drivers.

“Our investigation also reveals that there was at least one other vehicle that approached the collision scene only a few seconds after the accident had occurred, but the driver left before the police arrived. We believe this driver is a critically important witness," Staff Sgt. Major John Buis said in a statement.

Also on HuffPost

50 Conspiracies, 50 States