07/15/2013 14:43 EDT | Updated 09/14/2013 05:12 EDT

UN gang members sentenced in Bacon brothers murder plot

Four members of the UN gang and one associate have been sentenced to 11 to 14 years in prison for conspiracy to murder the three Bacon brothers and other Red Scorpions gang members in 2008 and 2009.

The five men — Barzan Tilli-Choli, Yong Sung John Lee, Dilun Heng, Karwan Ahmet Saed and Ion Kroitoru — pleaded guilty earlier this week to conspiring to kill Jonathan, Jamie and Jarrod Bacon and their associates at the height of a gang war in Metro Vancouver and the Fraser Valley.

The sentences handed down by the judge on Monday morning were based on a joint submission from Crown and defence lawyers last Wednesday that called for:

- 14 years for Barzan Tilli-Choli

- 13 years for Ion (John WIlliam) Kroitoru

- 12 years for Dilun Heng

- 12 years for Karwan Ahmet Saed

- 11 years for Yong Sung John Lee

Because they were arrested 4½ years ago — before federal laws changed — the judge gave them double credit for time served awaiting trial, meaning the actual sentences are about five, four, three, three and two years respectively.

All except Tilli-Choli could also be eligible for statutory release after serving two-thirds of their sentence. Tilli-Choli could serve the full term because he has only permanent resident status in Canada and faces immediate deportation to Iraq at the end of his sentence.

The Lower Mainland's Integrated Homicide Investigation Team said it is still seeking at least two more suspects in the conspiracy plot. Cory (Frankie) Vallee and Conor Vincent D'Monte, alleged members of the UN gang, have both been wanted on Canada-wide warrants since being charged in January 2011.

Jonathan Bacon died two years ago after being shot in Kelowna. Jarrod is serving a 12-year sentence for conspiracy to traffic cocaine.

Jamie is serving time in a federal facility on a weapons conviction and is also awaiting trial on a first-degree murder charge in connection with the so-called "Surrey Six" slayings in October 2007, a separate case that involved the killing of six people in a Surrey high-rise, including two innocent bystanders.