07/23/2013 09:02 EDT | Updated 07/23/2013 09:11 EDT

Jack Grover, Saskatoon Landlord, Sued After Fatal Rental Property Fire


SASKATOON - A lawsuit has been filed against a Saskatoon landlord who is accused of leaving the batteries out of smoke detectors at one of his properties that was the scene of a fatal fire.

Five tenants are suing Jack Grover for negligence after the January 2012 blaze at the west-side property that killed Daniel Shepherdson.

Documents filed in court allege Grover also did not efficiently get rid of garbage and debris from the building.

The tenants also say he did not provide basement tenants with a kitchen, instead giving them hot plates.

They also say they brought forward concerns about the building before the fire happened.

None of the allegations has been proven in court.

Also on HuffPost

Photo gallery
10 Worst Things Landlords Have Done
See Gallery