Marissa Ginter was friends with three teens who were taken to the hospital on Friday, after they took what they thought was ecstasy. Police tests on the drug have determined it was actually heroin.
Kelowna RCMP would not say if Ginter ingested the same drug as the teens who became sick.
They are awaiting a coroner's toxicology report after the 17-year-old was found dead on Friday morning.
Police say a friend called 911 when she was unresponsive.
Ginter is described as a kind, friendly teen with an unforgettable smile in online condolences posted on the website of the Springfield Funeral Home in Kelowna.
“She had the voice of an angel and was gifted with the ability to play musical instruments,” added another friend of the family.
Police say ingesting any street drug puts a person in great risk of harm, because it's impossible to know what actually is in the drug.