The parents of a toddler who died last month at an unlicensed daycare centre spoke publicly for the first time since their daughter’s death, explaining why they chose to launch a $3.5 million lawsuit against the facility’s operators and the Ministry of Education.
"This is my job now, to … try to prevent this from happening," said Ekaterina Ravikovich, who said she would not wish the her loss on her worst enemy.
"I do not want it to happen to any other parent," she said.
Two-year-old Eva Ravikovich died early July at a Vaughan-area home functioning as a private daycare.
The law requires unlicensed facilities not care for more than five children under the age of 10 simultaneously. However, Eva’s daycare held 27 kids on July 8 — the day Eva was found dead.
Her parents said they believe the daycare owners' negligence killed their daughter.
"Eva suffered serious injuries and died. Before Eva died she sustained pain and suffering, a loss of enjoyment of life," reads the document.
The lawsuit outlines a number of concerns about how the daycare operated, including failing to:
- Provide a clean, sanitary and safe environment.
- Employ qualified staff.
- Maintain proper child to staff ratios.
- Properly store food and drink to prevent contamination, infection and illness.
Their concerns about the facility, which has since been shut down due to numerous health infractions, seem to be shared by parents of other children formerly under the facility’s care.
CBC’s Travis Dhanraj spoke with some parents who said the owner lied to them about the daycare being fully licensed and showed them false documentation.
Police have not yet released the toddler’s cause of death. However, the family’s lawyer said information from the coroner’s office allowed the Ravikovichs to proceed with the lawsuit.