TORONTO - Two more food booths have been shut down at the Canadian National Exhibition, where a food poisoning outbreak earlier this month forced the closure of a burger stand.
Toronto Public Health said the additional booths — the Bourbon Street Grill and Bao 360 Shanghai Express — were closed late Tuesday due to "food safety infractions."
The infractions had to do with sanitation, food handling practices and the temperature at which meats were being stored, said Jim Chan, Toronto Public Health manager.
"At these two vendors, the major issues regarding the handling and processing of hazardous foods such as meat, including chicken — the temperature continued to be an issue," Chan said.
"Keeping hazardous food at room temperature is a serious health hazard," he said.
The closures came just hours after Epic Burgers and Waffles was allowed to reopen its booth at the CNE following an investigation into more than 220 cases of illness reported by fair-goers last week.
Lab tests traced the foodborne illness to a maple bacon jam topping on cronut burgers — cheeseburgers on croissant-doughnut buns.
Epic Burgers and Waffles, which was closed down Aug. 21, says it got the jam from a supplier and that its menu no longer includes the cronut burger.
Both of the newly-shuttered booths were operated by the Innovated Restaurant Group in the CNE food building and will remain closed for the remainder of the fair, which ends on Labour Day.
Chan said the two outlets shared a kitchen and the food has been seized and will be disposed of.
Public health officials say in addition to the safety infractions, the two booths were also in breach of CNE contract rules and regulations, but did not give details.
CNE general manager David Bednar called the closure so soon after the Epic Burgers incident "exceptional," adding that the fair would typically force a food booth to close "about every second year."