CBC Radio's On the Coast asked festival expert Robyn Williams Dann for her top picks this year.
Dann — who has been catching about 30 shows a year for the past eight years — says she looks at festivals in other cities to see what's been a hit, then talks to people in line and at the Fringe Bar once the festival starts.
Here are her top five picks heading into this year's festival, which runs from Sept. 5 to 15 at locations across the city.
1. Kitt & Jane: An Interactive Guide to the Near-Post-Apocalyptic Future - SNAFU DANCE Theatre won Fringe awards for their last offering, Little Orange Man in 2011. This is the sequel.
2. Against Gravity - part shadow puppet show and part live musical performance with beat boxing and an overhead projector.
3. Hockey Night at the Puck and Pickle - a look ahead at what game night will look like for the Canada vs. Russia match at next year's Olympics - featuring local actors Ryan Gladstone and Jon Paterson.
4. The Adversary - Victoria based comedian Andrew Bailey draws on his decade as an inner city church custodian. The performance has been described as Woody Allen stuck in The Wire.
5. Unpossible - a magic show by Vancouver performer Travis Bernhardt that was a hit at the Edmonton Fringe Festival.