Before people started hating on baggage fees and charges for assigned seating, airline foods were the punching bag for many disgruntled passengers.
Whether it was about the bland, flavourless mush microwaved in plastic trays, the tiny portions which left much to be desired or the questionable quality, it's easy to see why airline food served as the punch line of many failed comedians. Simply put, trying to feed hundreds of passengers with TV-dinner quality meals was just laughable.
Well, famished flyers can put down those peanuts because there's still hope. Below are a few savoury samples that remind us while airline food may never be our go-to source for nourishment, there are the odd exceptions that buck the tasteless trend.
And hey, if you think whatever your cabin crew is serving you is bad now, just remember: it can always be worse.
- They remind us beef doesn't have to come in patty form.Imugr
- The remind us there are vegetables outside of carrots and potatoes.Flickr: Allerina & Glen MacLarty
- They remind us you can have your asparagus (and slurp it too).Flickr: dane brian
- They remind us in-flight meals don't have to come in plastic trays.Flickr: Jun Seita
- They remind us that when it does come in plastic trays, they can be chic and cute.Flickr: andynash
- They remind us that fava beans are FAVALOUS!Flickr: Allerina & Glen MacLarty
- They remind us that tuna doesn't have to be sandwiched between bread.Flickr: dane brian
- They remind us appetizers are more than just breads and salads.Flickr: ToastyKen
- They remind us we don't get enough almonds, lamb and couscous in our diets.Flickr: Allerina & Glen MacLarty
- They remind us crayfish crepes are a real thing.Flickr: BrownGuacamole
- They remind us even appetizers can have their own appetizers.Flickr: kalleboo
- They remind us that airline food can look gorgeous.Flickr: Jun Seita
- They remind us that food can be colourful too (we're looking at you Mr. Grey Mystery Meat)Flickr: BrownGuacamole
- They remind us you don't always have to choose between appetizers -- sometimes you can have both!Flickr: BrownGuacamole
- Finally, they remind us that wine also exists in bottle form.Flickr: koadmunkee
What's your most memorable airline meal? Let us know in the comment section below or on Twitter @HPCaTravel
Also on HuffPost