After 11 days of packed with movies, stars and cinematic exploration, the Toronto International Film Festival comes to a close today with a final day of screenings and its influential awards ceremony.
Amid 10 different honours to be presented at the midday ceremony is the prestigious People's Choice Award, presented to the most popular film as chosen by the audience throughout the festival.
It has increasingly become a bellwether for further movie world success — from kudos at the Oscars and Golden Globes to recognition by industry peers, like the Screen Actors Guild, Producers Guild and Directors Guild.
- Check out live updates from the awards gala here via our TIFF live blog.
Altogether, the following prizes will be presented:
- Best Canadian First Feature Film
- Best Canadian Feature Film
- Best Canadian Short Film
- International Critics' Prize (FIPRESCI) for Discovery
- International Critics' Prize (FIPRESCI) for Special Presentations
- People's Choice Award
- People's Choice Documentary Award
- People's Choice Midnight Madness Award
- NETPAC Award
- Emerging Filmmakers Competition Awards
Festival organizers will hold a free screening of the People's Choice winning film at Toronto's Ryerson Theatre at 6pm tonight.