Vancouver police are warning drug users to use InSite — the city's supervised injection centre — after two people died from heroin overdoses recently, according to a Monday news release.
Police believe a 15-year-old girl died Monday morning after taking heroin in a Haro Street apartment, Global News reported.
The other death took place Saturday night, where police believe a 39-year-old man overdosed after injecting heroin in the 4400-block of Boundary Road.
"We believe that the people were alone when they took heroin," VPD media relations officer Randy Fincham told the news network about the two deaths. "It was not 'til some time later that someone checked on them and found that they were deceased.”
Drug users who don't feel well are advised to seek medical attention immediately, advised police.
The public warning comes a week after the PHS Community Services Society, which co-manages InSite, issued a warning about suspect heroin following three overdoses at the safe injection facility, although no one died in those incidents, The Province reported.
"Better to do it (take drugs) at InSite where your chances of dying are a lot lower," PHS executive director Mark Townsend told the newspaper.
Also on HuffPost