10/13/2013 12:41 EDT | Updated 01/23/2014 06:58 EST

Magnus Hellberg impresses teammates as Milwaukee Admirals beat Abbotsford Heat 2-1

ABBOTSFORD, B.C. - Taylor Beck may have been the hero on Saturday, however it was goaltender Magnus Hellberg who deserved the credit for the Milwaukee Admirals.

After setting up the tying goal late in the third period, Beck scored the winner in a shootout as the Admirals defeated the host Abbotsford Heat 2-1 in American Hockey League action Saturday.

Hellberg stopped all four Abbotsford (2-1-1) shooters he faced to go with 26 saves in regulation.

"Magnus has been unbelievable since the middle of last season and continued it this year," said Beck. "He's the reason it was a 1-0 game for as long as it was. They had a lot of chances and he kept us in. We got one for him and were fortunate enough to get the win."

Colton Sissons tied the game with less than six minutes to play in the third, helping Milwaukee (1-0-1) to the comeback win. Beck threw the puck toward the net and Sissons got just enough of a deflection that it curled under the pad of Abbotsford goaltender Rito Berra for his first AHL goal.

"We had a draw play set up and it worked out perfect," said Beck. "I just tried to get it on net and Sissons got a great tip on it for his first goal, so I couldn't be happier for him too."

Then Beck and Patrick Cehlin both beat Berra in the shootout.

"The goalie stuck with me the whole way," said Beck. "I noticed a little hole, low glove, and was fortunate enough to put it in there."

The game was scoreless through 40 minutes, a testament to the performance of both netminders.

The Heat got on the board 41 seconds into the third on the power play, with Roman Horak finishing off a pretty play. Chad Bilins won a race for the puck, pushed it ahead to Max Reinhart at the face-off dot and he quickly set up Horak for a one-timer at the left side of the net.

"It was a great play by Josh Jooris and Reinhart," said Horak. "Reinhart made a great pass across and I just tried to one-time it, and luckily it went in."

Abbotsford kept its foot on the gas, carrying the flow of play for most of the third, but Milwaukee tied the game at 14:16.

"Eventually we turned the tide in the third and had a nice play off a face-off to tie it up," said Admirals' defenceman Joe Piskula.

The Heat, who allowed a late lead to slip away in Friday's 3-2 overtime win over Milwaukee, knew they were too passive.

"We felt it last night too, we just hung on at the end," said Heat head coach Troy Ward. "They made some good pushes, I thought, down the stretch last night, and they were (again) tonight."

Milwaukee continued to press for another goal, but couldn't solve Berra, who made 27 saves in defeat.

"(Berra) kept us in the game a lot of times," said Horak of his netminder, who has started all four games this year. "So far, he's been unbelievable here."

Overtime saw just one shot between the two teams.

NOTES: Ben Hanowski had points in each of his first three AHL games, but had his streak snapped Saturday. ... Abbotsford was 1 for 5 on the power play, Milwaukee went 0 for 5.