10/21/2013 09:31 EDT | Updated 01/23/2014 06:58 EST

Inquest hears 911 call that preceded fatal police shooting

A fateful 911 call was played to a coroner’s inquest on Monday, three years after Toronto police responded to a situation involving a man with mental health issues that ended in a fatal shooting.

Reyal Jardine-Douglas, 25, was shot on Aug. 29, 2010, after he pulled a knife from a bag and advanced toward an officer who had instructed him to drop the weapon.

The interaction between Jardine-Douglas and the officer had begun on a TTC bus, though he was shot outside of it.

Prior to that interaction, police had been notified that he was “acting irrationally,” as the Special Investigations Unit would later report.

On Monday, the inquest heard audio footage from the 911 call that the man’s sister, Aisha Jardine, had placed prior to his interaction with police. She had hoped to get help for her brother.

"He’s not really too right, right now," Jardine told the operator during the 911 call, which was played at the inquest.

She told the operator that her brother had been dealing with depression for years but it had recently "just flared up."

While the operator is heard asking Jardine questions, she reports that her brother had jumped onto a southbound TTC bus near the intersection of Victoria Park Avenue and Lawrence Avenue East.

The inquest heard Monday that Jardine and her mother only found out much later that Jardine-Douglas had been shot.

John Weingust, a lawyer representing the family at the inquest, said the 911 operator was repeatedly told that Jardine-Douglas was not well.

"We just feel that he was not an aggressive person … that there was no reason for him having to be shot two times," Weingust told CBC News outside of the coroner’s courts.

The inquest is examining the deaths of three people who were shot dead by Toronto police in separate incidents.

All of the deceased had mental health issues and all three were holding sharp objects when they were shot.

In addition to the death of Jardine-Douglas, the inquest is probing the deaths of Sylvia Klibingaitis and Michael Eligon.

Last week, the inquest heard that police are trained to deal with situations and not with the mental states of individuals.