Note To Readers: This video and story contain offensive language.
The Toronto Star has purchased a profanity-laden cellphone video in which Mayor Rob Ford says "I need fucking 10 minutes to make sure he's dead." The mayor appears inebriated in the brief video that was posted by The Star on Thursday, and the target of his anger is not identified.
The Star said they obtained the video on Wednesday, but the first glimpse of the video was made available by The Toronto Sun on Thursday, after they obtained an excerpt of the video. The Star then posted the full video to their website.
On Thursday, Ford spoke to reporters live on TV, calling the newly released video "extremely embarrassing" and said “All I can say is again I’ve made mistakes.”
"The whole world is going to see it and I don't have a problem with that but it's extremely embarrassing," he told reporters.
"I hope none of you will ever or have ever have been in that state. I was extremely, extremely inebriated."
On Tuesday, Ford admitted he had smoked crack.
"Yes, I have smoked crack cocaine. But do I? Am I an addict? No," he said. "Have I tried it? Probably in one of my drunken stupors, probably approximately about a year ago."
The CBC's Jamie Strashin tweeted that sources told him the video was made in February or March of this year.
Deputy Mayor Norm Kelly also spoke to reporters after the new video was posted.
Quotes from the new video include:
“I’m gonna kill that fucking guy. I’m telling you, it’s first-degree murder.”
“I’ll rip his fucking throat out. I’ll poke his eyes out. . . . I’ll make sure that motherfucker’s dead.”
The Toronto Star initially wouldn't say how much it paid for the video, but late Thursday afternoon revealed in its story on the video that it paid $5,000, saying the amount is "consistent" with fees paid for exclusive videos or photographs.
Star editor-in-chief Michael Cooke said the paper bought the video because of the "huge public interest".
"This was especially crucial as the Mayor insisted he had nothing left to hide and has called us liars and maggots from the beginning when we reported on two of our journalists seeing a video that showed a clearly intoxicated mayor smoking crack cocaine," Cooke said in The Star's story.
The Star says it was told the video was recorded at the home of a Ford supporter, described to the newspaper as a businessman. The mayor was impaired when he arrived at the house, and four people between the ages of 20 and 60 were there, The Star reported.
When the crack video allegations first surfaced in May, the mayor denied he had used the drug. On Tuesday, Ford has said he has no intention of leaving his post.
"I was elected to do a job and that's exactly what I'm going to continue doing," he said.
"Folks, I have nothing left to hide."
Earlier this week, court documents made public for the first time revealed that Toronto Police have been keeping tabs on Ford and his friend Sandro Lisi for months. Surveillance photos and records released show Lisi providing plastic bags to the mayor at gas stations and also meeting him on park trails, leaving an empty vodka bottle behind.
Lisi is facing an extortion charge.