12/02/2013 10:57 EST | Updated 02/01/2014 05:59 EST

Const. John Zivcic remains in critical condition after crash

Const. John Zivcic remains in critical condition in hospital following a weekend collision, and the head of the Toronto Police Association says the focus now is on helping the family during this "difficult" time.

“It’s difficult, devastating. I'm headed down there right now,” Mike McCormack told Matt Galloway on CBC's Metro Morning early Monday. “It’s just not good.”

Zivcic remains in St. Michael’s Hospital with severe head injuries after his marked police vehicle was involved in a collision Saturday afternoon near Bloor Street West and Neilson Drive.

The 34-year-old, who has been with the force for seven years, was on traffic duty, responding to call, when the accident occurred.

Another vehicle was involved, but Zivcic’s cruiser also crashed into a tree and he was said to have been ejected from the vehicle.

McCormack also spoke of the risks of the job, alluding to Zivcic’s condition.

“The thing is it gets dangerous when we’re responding to calls, and trying to get there quickly and safely, and just trying to balance that, and at times the outcome can be tragic — as I fear this outcome will be,” he said.

Zivcic, originally from St. Catharines, Ont., is described as a “greatly respected guy,” specifically at 22 Division where he works.

Zuvcuc is "a hard-working police officer and he worked hard for the public...there’s no good outcome here,” McCormack.

'Outpouring of support'

Officers continue to hold vigil. Many arrived at the hospital Sunday.

“We often describe it as a policing family and there has been an outpouring of support from across the country. I know that our officers here in Toronto are hurting quite terribly right now,” McCormack said.

On Sunday, police said his condition had not changed despite multiple surgeries.

Deputy Chief Peter Sloly said police are doing "everything that we can" to support the family.

Police are saying little about what may have caused the crash, which is under investigation by Traffic Services.

A female driver of the other vehicle was treated for minor injuries and released from hospital on Saturday.