Parti Québécois partisans wondering how to spin the government's controversial values charter at holiday gatherings now have a handbook to guide them.
Released last Friday, the six-page guide, entitled Holiday party answers to your family's questions!, provides template answers to questions like:
- What's the point of the Charter?
- What will the Charter change?
- What will happen to religious accommodations?
- Why ban all employees of the state from wearing religious symbols?
- What will happen to the crucifix in the National Assembly?
The guide also provides counter-arguments to assertions including:
- Quebec is already secular. There's no problem.
- The Charter is dividing everybody.
- There are more people against the Charter than for it.
- People everywhere in the world see us as racists.
- The Charter contravenes existing rights and liberties. It will never pass.
Asked to comment on the PQ's holiday talking points for Bill 60, Jean-François Lisée, Minister of International Relations, La Francophonie and External Trade, told CBC News that it was "charter-free day" and did not answer questions.
Geoffery Kelley, the Liberal Member for Jacques-Cartier, called the guidebook a desperate act.
"Obviously they realize their product has a lot of problems if they have to go out and defend it, even over the holidays," he said.
Also on HuffPost