TORONTO - Ontario's Municipal Affairs and Housing Minister Linda Jeffrey will be meeting with municipal leaders Friday to discuss cleanup funding following last month's ice storm.
Premier Kathleen Wynne's office says Jeffrey's ministry is already in touch with all affected municipalities and is closely monitoring the situation.
It says in a release that the ministry has already begun the process of assessing the requests of the municipalities that are seeking disaster relief.
Toronto Mayor Rob Ford said Tuesday he had requested a "one-on-one" meeting with the premier next week, but her spokeswoman says Wynne has met and will continue to meet with Deputy Mayor Norm Kelly, who represents Toronto city council.
Toronto council voted Monday in favour of asking the province to declare the city a disaster area, a step required to apply for disaster relief.
Toronto did not declare a state of emergency during the ice storm which downed hydro lines, cut power to hundreds of thousands and stalled road and air travel for days.
City staff have said Toronto faces a cleanup bill of at least $106 million from the ice storm on top of $65.2 million in costs arising from a severe rainstorm on July 8, 2013.
Also on HuffPost