01/24/2014 23:55 EST | Updated 03/26/2014 05:59 EDT

Côte-des-Neiges residents forced out after fire, explosion

About 15 people were forced from their homes in the Côte-des-Neiges neighbourhood of Montreal after a major fire and explosion Friday night.

The blaze broke out at a building under construction at 5440 Decarie Boulevard just after 10 p.m.

Authorities say the fire was sparked after propane leaked from cylinders being used to heat the building, causing several small explosions.

Traffic in the area was blocked, and about 15 residents were ordered from their homes as a precaution.

The blaze was brought under control shortly after 11 p.m., and the residents were allowed to return to their homes.