The case was dismissed but the judge said it had nevertheless been a corrupt deal and questioned Ecclestone's honesty.
"Even ... making allowances for the lapse of time and Mr Ecclestone's age, I am afraid that I find it impossible to regard him as a reliable or truthful witness," judge Guy Newey said.
A former F1 shareholder, German media company Constantin Medien, had sued Ecclestone and other defendants for up to $144 million, claiming F1 was undervalued at the time of the sale to investment group CVC Capital Partners.
The 83-year-old Ecclestone was accused of entering into a "corrupt agreement" with German banker Gerhard Gribkowsky to facilitate the sale of Formula One Group to a buyer chosen by him.
The High Court said the deal was corrupt, but ruled that Constantin Medien did not lose out as a result.
"No loss to Constantin has been shown to have been caused by the corrupt arrangement with Dr Gribkowsky," the judge said in his conclusions. "That fact is fatal to the claim."
During the trial, which ran from October to December last year, Constantin Medien's lawyers said that payments totalling about 27 million pounds ($45 million) were made to Gribkowsky at the instigation of Ecclestone.
Gribkowsky, who was in charge of selling German bank BayernLB's 47-per cent stake in F1 to CVC, has already been found guilty of corruption, tax evasion and breach of trust and is serving an 8 1/2-year prison sentence. Ecclestone acknowledged during Gribkowsky's trial that he made the payment to avoid being reported by the banker to authorities over his tax affairs.
"The payments were a bribe. They were made because Mr Ecclestone had entered into a corrupt agreement with Dr Gribkowsky in May 2005 under which Dr Gribkowsky was to be rewarded for facilitating the sale of BLB's shares in the Formula One group to a buyer acceptable to Mr Ecclestone," the judge said.
Ecclestone is also facing trial in Germany. He is charged with bribery and incitement to breach of trust connected with the payment to Gribkowsky. The trial will begin on April 24 and is set to run until Sept. 16.
Bribery convictions can result in prison sentences ranging from three months to 10 years in Germany. Ecclestone said earlier this month he is expecting the case to be thrown out before the trial starts.
Ecclestone has stepped down as a member of F1's holding company board of directors pending the outcome of the trial but continues running the sport.
Follow Samuel Petrequin on Twitter: http://twitter.com/sampetrequin